FJATA is pleased to announce the launch of a C-TPAT survey or audit for our members. With the partnership of Janel (formerly Liberty Intl) and Sumerra, the FJATA CSR audit is now enhanced so that our members have access to a credible C-TPAT survey and team of experts. This addition of C-TPAT to our CSR program is beneficial as described below.
C-TPAT Defined/How C-TPAT Works:
When an entity joins C-TPAT, an agreement is made to work with CBP to protect the supply chain, identify security gaps and implement specific security measures and best practices. Applicants must address a broad range of topics and present security profiles that list action plans to align security throughout the supply chain. Participation in C-TPAT is voluntary and there are no direct costs payable to CBP associated with joining the program.
C-TPAT Benefits – to date…
- Reduction of random Customs exams. US CBP considers C-TPAT importers lower risk and therefore will reduce the number of exams a C-TPAT importer experiences.
- Bypass CBP Examination Queues. If called for an exam, C-TPAT importers get placed in front of other non C-TPAT importers thus expediting the exam process.
- Shorter wait times at the border. Designated FAST Lanes for border crossings.
- Faster business resumption. If ports are shut down due to a terrorist concern or natural disaster, C-TPAT participating importers will be given priority clearance.
- ISF mitigation. C-TPAT participation is considered a mitigating factor in the event of an Importer Security Filing (ISF) penalty.
- Eligibility for US Government programs. For example, the FDA’s Secure Supply Chain Pilot Program or the Importer Self-Assessment Program (ISA).
- Priority consideration at Centers of Excellence and Expertise (CEE).
- Marketing benefits. C-TPAT participation may be desirable by business partners.
Should my company get involved with C-TPAT?
- Additional benefits to C-TPAT participation should be considered before making a final decision.
- The C-TPAT program asks an importer to create documented processes that add stability, efficiency and quality to operational processes such as receiving freight, documentation control, vendor management and similar key business functions.
- C-TPAT participation strengthens an importers business relationship with CBP thus helping to leave CBP with a positive impression of your business.
- A growing number of countries have “mutual recognition” agreements with CBP formally recognizing the compatibility of each country’s program.
Janel’s C-TPAT Consultancy Services:
- Consultative guidance in interpreting and implementing the minimum-security criteria.
- C-TPAT security audits with findings reports.
- Security training seminars increasing awareness of best practices in supply chain security.
- Onsite support in responding to validation/re-validation reports from CBP after an audit.
- Support in auditing vendor facilities and supply chain security questionnaires.
- Guidance in creating a sound 5-Step Risk Assessment policy.
Support identifying sources for necessary items in C-TPAT such as Bolt Seals, etc.
Pricing varies by audit provider. Sumerra can provide pricing for a full remediated audit.
For more information regarding Janel’s suite of value added services please contact:
Sean McClung, Sr. Director of Compliance, Janel Group, Inc. at 401-727-1776 x 114 or email@example.com